From Cambodia to Japan

A Cambodian Student Looks at Life in Two Different Worlds


Butterfly Dream

When you were dreaming, have you ever thought that it was merely a dream?

I once dreamed that I was able to fly. In the dream, I floated around my house to the surprise of my parents and my neighbors. It was incredibly fun. I was enjoying myself when suddenly someone said, “it’s just a dream." But I refused to believe it. Someone then said that if I didn't think it was a dream I should pinch myself. I did and surprisingly the me in my dream could feel the pain. I excitedly yelled out, "It hurts. I could feel the pain. So it's real! Ahahah! I can't believe it's real" And god knows if it's real or fake. So after a while of an incredible journey, I woke up. Someone in my dream must be right. It was really a dream.

Now it makes me question myself if my entire life here is just another dream.

Of course, I always tell myself that it's impossible. Life here is too complex to be a dream. From the moment I was born till the day I'll be gone, it'll be pretty long. I've known many people and done a lot of things. So many things in the world that I've seen. There's no way that it's a dream.

But a small part of me argues that it actually is. It can be a complex dream. Well, a life long one. Just like me in my dream who was convinced that it was real- that I was able to fly- I am now convinced by everything around me that my life here is real. I only believe it was a dream only after it’s over.

If my life is, in fact, a dream, then whose dream is that?

Well, it can be a dream of someone who looks exactly like me in my real life. It can be a dream of a butterfly, a bird or some kinds of animal that I know. It can be a dream of an alien, or a different kind of specie that I've never seen before. That person or alien probably lives an incredibly long life in an incredibly complex civilization- probably million times longer and more complex than my present life.

As for the dream, it probably starts at the very second I was born. When I'm done with my life- or simply speaking when I die-I will probably wake up in a different world. I will probably open my eyes and be astonished at the fact that my life, which I believed was quite long and complicated, was merely a dream.

Well, I'm not crazy. I don't always believe that my entire life is merely a butterfly's dream. It's just an occasional thought that pops up in my head. Even if it's really a dream, I know I will live and enjoy the best of it.

3 Responses to “Butterfly Dream”

  1. # Blogger Dara

    >> If my life is, in fact, a dream, then whose dream is that?

    Other possibility is that it can be your dream. You are raised by machines or alien. Your real body is in a tube but they plug your barin into this world using a software called MATRIX. muhahahahaha
    Why they raise you? To generate electricity from the heat of your boday!

    Or one day you will wake up and realize that you are just a small cell of a large animal. muhahaha What will you do?

    >> As for the dream, it probably starts at the very second I was born. When I'm done with my life- or simply speaking when I die-I will probably wake up in a different world.

    If that's the case then I can find my answer to what really happen after we die. In my opinion I think after we die we will feel nothing. Everything just black like you fall asleep in a dreamless night.

    >> Well, I'm not crazy. I don't always believe that my entire life is merely a butterfly's dream. It's just an occasional thought that pops up in my head.

    I don't think you are. I envy you that you can think about such things. Thinking about everything is much much better than playing video game IMHO.

    >> ven if it's really a dream, I know I will live and enjoy the best of it.

    That's it. That's what I want man :)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I think you are dreamer and that you re now dreaming that your life is just a dream of someone else not yours...How can such a dream last quite long like this? When it ends?

    Wake up man! You are you! Not the dream of someone!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Nice :)
    Love,
    Zahunga the Mexican  

Post a Comment